Sunday, February 28, 2021

Lentil Marinara






     I discovered a wonderful account, Nutmeg Notebook, and Tami has some wonderful sauce ideas to compliment our diet, check her out.  I was inspired by her Marinara Sauce to create my Lentil Marinara, you won't believe how delicious this is, and it can go on ANYTHING.  I didn't put mine on pasta, I put mine on Salad...keep your eye rolls to yourself, I like Salad, ...ok!?  For each of the 8 cups, it is only 158 calories, 38g carbs, 4g fiber, 12g sugar alcohol, 22g net carbs, 10.7g protein and 1g fat per cup...yes, only 1 gram of fat.  This is a oil free recipe, I have learned how to "sweat" my diced Onions, follow along, this is one to try!  

Ingredients for 8 servings, 1 cup per serving~

1 medium diced Onion

8oz sliced fresh Mushrooms

2 large trimmed diced Carrots

1 Tablespoon chopped Garlic

Dash Cayenne

2-28oz crushed Tomatoes (I used salt free)

4 Tablespoons Tomato Paste

1/4 cup Lakanto Golden Monk Fruit~sub with Classic Monk Fruit or sweetener of choice

1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast

Italian Spices, season as desired~I used an Italian blend to include Oregano and Basil

1 cup dried Lentils, I used a multi colored blend, but any color will do

     Add diced Onion to non stick skillet or stock pot on medium heat, slowly cook til lightly browned, add a smidgen of water if necessary, I did not use any water.  Add Mushrooms, Carrots, Garlic and Cayenne til vegetables are cooked thru and softened.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 hour or til Lentils are softened, stirring often.  Serve over Pasta, Vegetables or just with a spoon!  Enjoy  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment