Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Homemade Salsa





     There are many different variations of Salsa and everyone has their own opinion of what determines the 1st place holder.  My daughter, Courtney, made the best Salsa I have ever eaten in my life, and I tried to re create her version but it just didn't turn out the same.  Thus, the great Cilantro debate was born.  She says a few sprigs, I say the entire "bunch"...who is right...can this relationship be saved!?  I guess the answer is how much do you like Cilantro, ... and since hers turned out better than mine she might have won this round!  (...don't let it go to your head Courtney... honoring your parents is a top commandment  :/)  Although, Cilantro lovers may think I'm a genius (and they would be right, of course), they may feel that mother knows best when it comes to all things Salsafied.  All this being said, let me present my version in the spirit of peace and harmony.  Feel free to adapt to your taste on all ingredients, there are no right or wrong answers when it comes to Salsa.  But what is definitely right is that this batch makes 3.5 cups and each 1/4 cup is only 25 calories, 4.6g net carbs and .6g protein.  You can never go wrong with Salsa!  ;)

Ingredients~
1 bunch Cilantro~ use as little or as much as desired
1/2  sweet white Vidalia Onion
1 Jalapeno, diced with seeds removed... (if you are a sadist, keep the seeds)
1 Tablespoon fresh chopped Garlic
14.5 can Hunts Whole Peeled Plum Tomatoes, drained
10oz can Rotel
3 Tablespoons Lime Juice, or to taste
2 Tablespoons Sugar, or to taste
3 teaspoons Lite Salt, or to taste

     Remove leaves from Cilantro stem in the amount you want to use, set aside.  Dice Onion and Jalapeno and add to Food Processor along with Garlic and Cilantro.  Use the chop button and press intermittently to desired consistency, making sure to not puree, VERY IMPORTANT STEP.  Next add the drained Tomatoes and Rotel and hit the chop button a couple more times, it doesn't take much so don't be heavy handed with the buttons!  Remove to bowl and stir in Lime Juice, Sugar and Salt to desired taste, my measurements are just a guide to what I did and you may like more or less of something.  Enjoy your inner artist in creating your own version and please share with me what you come up with!  Happy Salsa making  :)



No comments:

Post a Comment