Saturday, April 5, 2014

Sweet Potato Chips


My friend Vonda gave me some wonderful Asian Sweet Potatoes to experiment with !!!  The flesh is more white than orange and a little less sweet.  So if that is what you are looking for then broaden your horizons and play with trying a new variety of sweet potato.  I thought this would be the perfect type for trying my "hand" at Sweet Potato Chips !!!  BIG WARNING ... if you are using a Mandolin for the first time, be VERY VERY careful or you might just lose part of your finger that you would have preferred to remain attached to your body ...  :0  Anyhoo, there is a hand gripper that came with mine, so USE IT !!!  Also, I had a friend suggest a steel mesh glove for the cutting hand ... ( would have been good to know before"HAND" !!!  HA  ;/ )  There are several settings on the Mandolin, so you have to decide what thickness you desire for your chip.  I tried two different recipes to decide what I liked best.  The thinnest chips I thought were a little dry, tough and flavorless.  That recipe called to cook the chips at 250 for 2 hours and brushing the chips with EVOO and salt, turning half way thru baking.  But the thicker, shorter cooking recipe yielded more flavor and softer in the middle in my opinion, so that is the one I will post about. 

Ingredients~
1 or 2 Sweet Potatoes
EVOO for brushing
Salt
Cayenne Pepper, if desired

     Preheat oven to 400 and cover pan with parchment paper.  VERY CAREFULLY slice sweet potato on mandolin to desired thickness.  Brush with EVOO and salt, and cayenne if desired.  Bake for 10-12 minutes, then flip chips and bake another 10-12 minutes.  Enjoy  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment