Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Tuna Tarragon Pasta Salad








     Not to brag, ... BUT ...  eeehhheeemmm.... this turned out TERRIFIC !!!  I was pretty full of myself this afternoon after I created this !!!  I wanted to double the tuna but not double the pasta, so instead I added a can of peas for the additional starch vs additional pasta.  Also, I chose a Gluten Free All Natural Brown Rice Pasta Penne with Golden Milled Flax Seed.  This pasta is also wheat, dairy and egg free, as well as rich in whole grain. Lastly, a excellent source of Omega-3 Oils.  The best part is that "The Hubs" said he would not have known it wasn't regular pasta...( had he not already suspected I wouldn't be serving him regular pasta) .... he's catching on to my game ...  ;)  And, I have to give a shout out to my friend Alice, an old neighbor who I miss terribly, who first introduced me to the magic of Tuna and Tarragon combo almost 20 years ago.  Alice was one of the best cooks I had ever met and was always creating amazing Italian dishes every night for her family ( it helps to grow up in an Italian family).  I have several of her recipes she shared with me and I always think of her fondly when I open my cookbook.  Cheers to you Alice for my inspiration today  :)

Ingredients~
8oz Hodgson Mill Brown Rice Penne Pasta ( or other healthy pasta substitute will work)~boiled per instructions and drained in strainer
2-9oz Albacore Tuna packed in water
1 can of Peas, drained
1 cup of Baby Carrots, diced
1 Roma Tomato, diced and drained on paper towel ( best if can drain for a few hours) ( not pictured)
1 Green Bell Pepper, diced ( not pictured in ingredients)
1 Red Bell Pepper, diced (not pictured in ingredients)
5 green onions, diced
Juice of one lemon
3/4 Cup Veganaise
Dash salt, to taste
Dash pepper, to taste
1 Tablespoon Tarragon

     Mix lemon juice, veganaise, salt, pepper and tarragon together and set aside.  Boil pasta in large stock pot per direction and drain in strainer and add drained pasta back to pot.  Add remainder of ingredients and stir.  Pour dressing on top and stir thoroughly. Ready to serve, or chill for an hour if you prefer.  I liked mine room temperature right when it was finished.  Enjoy  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment