Thursday, March 7, 2024

Chayote Chicken Stew

 





     You know when that hankering comes on for something new in the kitchen,...especially after spotting an unfamiliar vegetable (only to discover it's a fruit) in the produce department.  As Jessica Simpson famously says, "I dunno what it is but I wan it".  Well, that sums me up perfectly.  When I locked eyes on this lime green squash with it's lumpy pear like shape, I knew I had to take it home and learn more.  It was destiny, and our future together held many opportunities!  And thus, my Chayote Chicken Stew was born, aptly named for its greatness! :)

Ingredients for a large pot~

2 pounds diced Chicken Breast

1 diced yellow Onion

1 Tablespoon chopped Garlic

1 pound trimmed, shaved and diced fresh Carrots

2 diced Potatoes

1 diced Chayote Squash, pit removed

2-3 cups Broth

2 cans diced Tomatoes (I use no salt added)

1 can Corn (I used no salt added)

1 can Green Beans (I used no salt added)

Shredded Cabbage, desired amount 

     Add Chicken, Onion, Garlic, Carrots, Potato and Chayote to large soup pot, til Chicken cooked thru and Vegetables begin to soften on low medium heat.  Then pour in remaining ingredients and heat til Cabbage is softened.  This will make a very large pot full, and is great for crowds.  Season as desired, although I just enjoy the natural flavors as they were meant to be.  Enjoy!  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment