Saturday, May 13, 2023

Fermented Sauerkraut Chicken Salad





 

     The clamor over fermented foods is recent, but we've been enjoying them for about 10,000 years.  People originally fermented foods to preserve them.  Today, it simply adds to their flavor.  Think Greek Yogurt, Kefir, Pickles, Sauerkraut, spicy Kimchi, and drinks like Kombucha.  The big plus is they are loaded with certain strains of good bacteria and yeast, which helps balance good and bad bacteria in your intestinal tract.  So, as a fun project I created a tasty Fermented Sauerkraut Chicken Salad, and I will tell you it turned out quite delicious.  In fact, good enough to keep it in my regular rotation.  Try it and let me know how you like, and if you already use fermented foods in your diet!

Ingredients~

Mixed Greens (I use Romaine, Kale, Broccoli, Carrots and Red Bell Pepper, add anything else you like)

Diced Chicken (use any protein you prefer, or sub with your favorite starch)

Sliced Avocado

Sauerkraut

     Organize your Mixed Greens, top with Chicken, Avocado and Sauerkraut.  As a bonus tip, I use Avocado in place of Salad Dressing because I find it creamy enough once mixed together.  This is optional, but in addition to the Avocado, the Sauerkraut also produces enough juices to utilize as a Dressing.  Enjoy  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment