Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Crock Pot Picadillo







     I follow Gina at Skinny Taste ( and you should too), and I saw this recipe come across my email. I couldn't resist trying it out and ended up changing a few things to suit my fancy... of course!  This worked perfect for my daughter, Chelsea's, college graduation from Nursing School weekend!  We had about 20 family in town for all the festivities and how lucky was I to find this Gold Mine !!!  The beauty of this dish ( besides it's deliciousness) is that you can do the prep work ahead of time and just plug the crock pot in before you head out for the day!!!  #WINNING (PS  Don't get up at 5:30 in the morning and plug in the Crock Pot and forget to actually TURN IT ON !!! ... ooooppppps)  You and your family will love this flavorful Cuban dish, this is one of the best meats I have ever eaten and can be used in so many different ways!  In fact, the longer this lean beef slowly cooks the more tender and juicy it becomes!  The Nutritional Stats aren't too shabby ~ 1/2 cup is 170 calories, 3.5g carbs and 22.5g prtoein. So, hope you will give this one a try  ;)

Ingredients~ ( I doubled all these ingredients for a large crowd and it still fit in my Crock Pot)
2 1/2 pounds 96% Lean Beef
1 large Yellow Onion, diced
1 Tablespoon EVOO
2-3 Heaping teaspoons chopped jarred garlic
Sriracha, to taste
1 packet Sazon Goya
1 Large Red Bell Pepper, diced
1/2 cup Cilantro Leaves
2 Roma Tomato's diced
8oz can Tomato Sauce
1/2 cup sliced Green Olives with Pimentos, plus the brine
1 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
3 Bay Leaves
Salt and Pepper to taste


     Heat EVOO in skillet and add diced Onion, Sriracha and Garlic til golden brown, may take 20-30 minutes.  Then add Beef til cooked thoroughly, drain off fat.  Return to heat and stir in packet of Sazon Goya.  Add Bell Peppers, and Cumin til Peppers begin to soften, about 3-4 minutes.  Stir in diced Tomato's, Tomato Sauce, Cilantro and Green Olives with a little of the brine.  Transfer to Pam sprayed Crock Pot and add Bay Leaves. Either let cool and store in frig over night to let the flavors merry, OR if using right away cook on High 3-4 hours or Low 6-8 hours.  I highly suggest you make ahead of time and let sit overnight!!!  The next day it is so easy to finish off your meal and the kitchen is already clean!!!  I served this over Coconut Rice and it was a huge hit, you can also make Taco's or Burritos!  This meat is so tender it literally melts in your mouth!  Enjoy  ;)















   

2 comments:

  1. I wanted to thank you a lot more for this amazing web-site you have created here. It truly is full of useful tips for those who are genuinely interested in this subject, specifically this very post.
    jogos friv online
    Jogos live
    jogos friv 4 school

    ReplyDelete
  2. The third dog in this post, Buddy, makes me feel nostalgic. You may or may not know this, but I used to have a dog named Buddy as well. I grew up with Buddy, my family's yellow lab, starting when I was in middle school. He died just this past January after spending twelve years with our family. I know Buddy is a really common name for a dog, but it still made me feel a connection!
    kizi com
    free games online
    free friv Games 2019

    ReplyDelete